Dangers in the household.

Danger comes in many different shapes, sizes and forms. This is especially true around the house. For parents with young children, it’s important to recognize what everyday household products can be potentially toxic, especially in unsuspecting hands. Here are five of the most common:

Antifreeze

Antifreeze, otherwise known as ethylene glycol or engine coolant, is added to a solvent to lower its freezing point. Many people keep a bottle of antifreeze to use in their cars and trucks. Drinking – and sometimes even breathing – this substance can be extremely dangerous. Antifreeze can cause serious damage to the brain, heart, kidney and other internal organs when consumed. To make things worse, antifreeze poisoning can cause symptoms – such as diarrhea, vomiting and intoxication – that could be confused with other diseases or illnesses. Not to mention, it has a sweet taste that may make it attractive to oblivious pets and toddlers.

Ammonia-based cleaning products

Ammonia is a colorless, volatile gas that is used in a number of household cleaning products. If inhaled, it can irritate the respiratory system and mucous membranes. It can also cause severe burns if high concentrations touch the skin. Instruct everyone in your family to never mix ammonia and bleach, as it can create a potentially fatal chloramine gas.

Air fresheners

Air fresheners – typically used to mask odors in bathrooms – may contain a range of toxic chemicals. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, air fresheners contain four basic ingredients: formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, p-dichlorobenzene and aerosol propellants. These chemicals have been linked to a number of health problems, including respiratory irritation, nausea and cancer. In the interest of your family’s health, it’s best to minimize air freshener use and enhance ventilation. Remember, air fresheners simply cover up an odor. A good ventilation system will eliminate it.

Mothballs

Mothballs are usually placed in closets to deter moths from chewing holes through clothing. Commercial mothballs contain p-dichlorobenzene or naphthalene – two toxic chemicals known to cause negative health effects in not only moths, but humans as well. Naphthalene, in particular, can attack red blood cells and cause anemia. To avoid this potential hazard altogether, consider natural, safer alternatives such as cedar chips, cinnamon sticks or eucalyptus leaves. If you do use the commercial products, make sure your children avoid exposure to the dangerous vapors, and always wash any clothes that have been stored with mothballs before wearing them.

Drain cleaners

The majority of drain cleaners contain sodium hydroxide, a corrosive acid also known as lye or caustic soda. It can cause burns and tissue damage when exposed to this skin. Additionally, inhaling sodium hydroxide fumes from can damage your respiratory tract and lung tissue, and, in some cases, even cause chemical pneumonia. Make sure to never allow any drain cleaner to sit in the drain, especially if it’s accessible to pets and young children.

In addition to exercising caution with the aforementioned household chemicals, it’s also a good idea to help protect your family by investing in a home security system. A high-quality system (check out SecuritySystemSpecials.com for an example) can provide 24/7 monitoring for burglary, fire, high levels of carbon monoxide and other threats.

{This post was sponsored by a third party}

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Dangers in the household.

  1. So did you write this or someone posted on your behalf? I’m a bit confused by it. Not that it’s not informative, but just how it fits with your blog. Perhaps if you wrote an intro and then this post followed, it’d still be personable.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s